View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-08-06, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Edit: Also, I'm having a hard time finding anyone who is for this, other than Apple and the cops, and both are being incredibly disingenuous about it.
It's almost certainly driven largely by Apple's own financial interests. The "think of the children!" is just a nice PR spin on top of it.

I was having a conversation with a colleague about this earlier today. One of the companies we used to work at was visited on several unrelated occasions by the FBI, SBI, and friends thanks to supposed customers uploading CP to our service. Dealing with the three-letter agencies is bad enough, but having to find and hand over and scrub all copies of data and logs from all work machines, servers, backups, etc. is a colossal pain in the ass and expensive. We were a relatively small shop, and it would take days of work to comply with the necessary cleanup and verification plus working with external vendors including the data centers and offsite backup data archival company. I would imagine it's far worse for Apple and its massive storage infrastructure, though they've likely automated this process to some extent.

Nothing could go wrong with hashing all your images and comparing to a known lookup table.

Nope. Nothing at all. Air-tight solution, that one.

I eagerly await when someone gets a list of hashes and engineers a perfectly innocuous image with a matching hash and then blasts it to thousands of unsuspecting iOS users.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.