View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-11-09, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Probably for the best. I don't think they'll ever top that initial season for genuine surprise/fun/nostalgia. Get in, get out, before it all becomes a tired, stayed-around-too-long punchline and shell of its former self.

I wish more things - movie franchises, TV shows, athletes, musicians, teachers/professors, elected officials/politicians, etc. - would grasp this concept.

Leave folks wanting more, not asking "WTF is this still doing here?!"
I would bet even money that Netflix will come up with some sort of spinoff. The brand is just too valuable. They've given themselves a lot of openings here.

I could easily see them spinning off any of:
  • Steve/Dustin buddy comedy. Honestly a light-hearted "Steve and Dustin Go To College" with goofy Ghostbusters-style paranormal investigations could be a hoot.
  • Murray Bowman (the paranoid investigate reporter) in some sort of X-Files-esque monster of the week
  • Robin in some kind of girl-power romp
  • Sam Owens (the "good guy" government scientist who takes over Hawkins in S2) reveals a bigger-bad that the government is trying to grapple with, in which Dr. Brenner's work was a mere sideshow (sort of a Hobbit/LOTR relationship)
  • A show where Scott Clarke (the science teacher) explains the potential science behind various sci-fi tropes, since that was so oven his role on the show. Sort of like Mythbusters but for hypothetical alien technology or whatever. Stuff like "could a lightsaber be theoretically possible?" and then go the the physics of why or why not.

I'm not saying these are good ideas, just that they're tropey enough that even the most clueless Hollywood exec couldn't miss 'em.

And with two seasons yet to go, who knows? I'm guessing they bring back Kali at some point before the show is done. I'd love to see more of Mayor Kline but only because Cary Elwes was criminally underused in ST3.

My problem with a spinoff is this: If the show isn't centered on some teens, it's not really Stranger Things anymore. So either you stick with the current kids and age the show with them, or you bring in new kids. I don't think either can work. The first would get old and you can't pull the same gag twice, ruling out the second.