View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-05-25, 22:42

If your first goal is to monitor and gauge your actual usage then I would (and I actually did) get an Emporia Energy Monitor for my electrical main panels. Once this was installed and running for a little over a month I knew what my actual usage was. I didn’t get any of the 50A leads, just the main 200A lugs were enough for me. This is a minimal investment to see what you actually do peak up to. Of course, you have to be “careful” not to adjust your usage knowing that you are looking now. So don’t tell your family you put it in. Then you will know for certain actual usage.

I don’t think the Span Panel will work with anything other than a Tesla Gateway. That is one limitation to it that seems relevant since I wouldn’t recommend the Tesla system in favor of server rack batteries. While the Span Panel would still give great insight and allow you to manage your electrical system, if it doesn’t work with anything other than a Tesla Gateway then it isn’t a direction I would point you.

The Tesla system also doesn’t allow for another source of power that isn’t solar. So you might need to get creative with adding wind to the mix. I would think it would have its own inverter that can feed the battery bank though so that might be the best option for integrating it in. As long as it feed the same voltage the batteries you use are rated for.

Of course, in all of this, grid approval is going to be a big deal. So some things you might electrically be able to do won’t be allowed by code. I faced that with my system and some of my proposals.

Also, there is a new all-in-one inverter on the market that looks good for most 200A service homes. It is the Signature Solar 18k. It looks good on paper and the one review I have seen on it looks really good.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.