View Single Post
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2010-11-11, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
As for reasons to switch. there's a couple minor build quality issues on the T2i. Flash hinge and control dial are both a little "squeaky". Display models did it too so it's not just mine. 60D didn't do that. Minor yeah but that kind of thing bugs me on expensive stuff.
This kind of thing bugs me too, but apparently it doesn't bother most people. Build quality on cameras at a given price point has dropped alarmingly over the last decade and continues to deteriorate with no end in sight. If you're fussy about this kind of thing you'll never be perfectly happy in today's world. Personally, I blame Americans and their obsessive interest in saving a buck rather than rewarding quality. But they probably blame under-consuming beggars like me.

I find I'm happiest with inexpensive stuff for which I have low expectations, or truly exotic stuff that is practically flawless. The middle ground (e.g. a Canon 60D) spells disappointment. It might feel okay-ish in a shop, but you'll soon find flaws and cost-cutting measures that you'll scarcely believe. My Nikon D300S — a camera with an initial RRP of $1799! — has a dinky battery door that wouldn't look out of place on a twenty-five-dollar toy, plastic where anyone sensible would demand metal (e.g. card door, parts of prism housing), a seriously cheap pop-up flash, sub-par viewfinder optics, and much else wrong with it. Ten years ago the price would have fetched you a new Leica M6 with absolutely impeccable materials and build quality, practically handmade by a fanatical German with no life outside the factory. Progress!

(Of course Nikon did lots of things right with the D300S too, which is why I have it.)

Mind you, I haven't so much as touched a 60D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
60D has several other advantages as well, pentaprism viewfinder, manual audio gain levels for video, and a higher burst rate which would all be nice.
Yup.