View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-18, 14:50

Here's the latest bit of never-gonna-happen insanity.

Quite optimistic.

I can't even imagine sitting there and trusting a fallible, man-made piece of tech to brake, accelerate, steer. I'd have a heart attack with the first two miles. I just don't see this happening. And even if you can reassure/placate everyone on the tech side of it, there's just that built-in, "gotta be in control" that most people have when it comes to operating a vehicle. I don't know how that is overcome. I really don't. It may take a generation or two dying off, and people like my niece and nephew (16 and 18) who've grown up in a world of nothing but tech, automated-this, digital-that, smart-this, app-that, etc. to fully buy in and see it as "normal". Hell, it might even be their kids, I don't know.

I can ride in a no pedal/no steering wheel thing at Disneyworld, sure...but it's on a track and there's nobody coming the opposite direction, or criss-crossing in front of me. Outside of that? Forget it.

I'll need about 10 years of evidence that these aren’t fender-bender (or worse) orgies before I could ever go "okay, I had it wrong...".

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-18 at 15:05.