View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-22, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Apple, please kill the physical home button already. SE would be a great phone to have otherwise, cheaper price fits the phone replacement cycle a lot better than the high end models.
It’ll get there. Probably on the true “third-generation” release in a year or two.

All those MacRumors articles I post keep calling this upcoming 2022 one the “third generation SE”, but it’s really just a Rev. B of the current 4.7”/iPhone 8-based SE. Changing processors and cellular radio don’t add up to “next generation”, when everything else remains the same.

IMO, it won’t be third-gen until it comes in a design/form not based on the iPhone 8. Until then it’s just under-the-hood updates and improvements to a solid, proven existing model. Appreciated and welcome, absolutely, but nothing all-new, “next generation” about it.

The one wild card (horse?) in all this is “who says the SE has to go 3-4 years between major updates?” I’d love to be surprised in early 2022 by a redesigned, full-face iPhone SE like I’ve spoken about unthread. I’m not expecting it, no. But I’d certainly give myself whiplash and a torn rotator cuff lunging for my wallet.

Hell, I might have to be the butt of my own jokes and camp out in front of the store or something if that was the new 2022 model!