View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-03, 15:20

Saw this at MacRumors...

Apple's New Standalone Monitor Could Be Around Half the Price of the Pro Display XDR

...which is still about 3x higher than such a thing should be (assuming everyone's all on the same page regarding the definition of "consumer").

From the first paragraph:

Quote:
Apple's rumored new consumer-oriented standalone monitor could appear this year and come in at around the $2,500 price mark, based on comments made by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Seems a little high for the stated target audience. What "consumer" is going to shell out twice for a monitor than they paid for the Mac to connect it to?

How hard is it for them to just take the 24" iMac design (roomy screen, minimal bezel, etc.), remove all the stuff that makes it a Mac - M1 guts, communications/wifi stuff, headphone jack, ports, webcam(?), etc. - and make that a nice, sub-$1,000 "consumer" display for folks to connect their Mac mini, MacBooks, etc. to? Leave all the other display-related specs (resolution, brightness, etc.) the same as the iMac. If it's good enough for a $1,299-1,699 iMac...

I don't mind the existence of that rumored $2,500 model, but that would be more of a "less-demanding, on-a-budget pro" option, not consumers (my mom, uncle and everyone else I know who don't use their Mac to earn a paycheck) with a $699-1,299 Mac. I hope there's more to this that this Gurman guy left out or isn't aware of. If $2,500 is the cheapest standalone display Apple can bring themselves to offer - which is about 3x higher than ones they've sold in the past - why even bother?

If they did the above (de-Mac'd a 24" iMac) wouldn't that result in a $799-899 display, even factoring in that arbitrary $100-200 "just because" iTax?