View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-19, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
For one, they'd be strong-armed into using standard Cocoa widgets, so iTunes would be forced to look like a standard app. They haven't done that in a long time, unfortunately.
iTunes could use standard widgets today. The app from which iTunes was derived, SoundJam, used standard widgets. It is a deliberate choice on Apple's part to use nonstandard widgets.

Quote:
I'm endlessly infuriated by iTunes' use of modal dialogs for editing song information. If you're going to block my use of the main iTunes window, USE AN EFFING SHEET. At least then it becomes plainly obvious what happened. Sheets, I believe, are a Cocoa thing.
Nope. Carbon apps can use sheets. Again, the use of modal dialogs is a deliberate choice on Apple's part.

Quote:
As another example, spell checking in text fields would be nice sometimes.
Text fields in Carbon apps can hook into the system-wide dictionary. This has been possible for years. Again, deliberate choice... blah blah blah...

Quote:
Also, it's my understanding that using Cocoa makes it much easier to extend common UI elements.
And yet Apple seems to already be extending all of the UI elements in iTunes already.

But, wait... didn't you just say that using Cocoa would strong-arm Apple into using standard widgets?

Quote:
Aside from running on Windows, are there any reasons you think it should remain a Carbon / custom-UI app?
Maybe the fact that it's a stable and mature application and "converting" it to Cocoa would be starting all over?

Quote:
EDIT: In my years of iTunes use, I've occasionally seen very strange rendering bugs (text tearing, graphics corruption, etc…). I suspect this is because so much of their UI is custom-rendered. I imagine using standard controls would cure a lot of these rare bugs, not to mention consistency with other Mac apps.
The choice of custom UI elements is independent of the choice of a Cocoa versus Carbon implementation. Cocoa apps can have painfully buggy visual glitches as well. Back when I used OmniWeb, a famous "good-looking" Cocoa app, it was sometimes littered with visual glitches too.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.