View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-03, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

That's about like the crazy-ass Performa days. Hell, why not add a few more while you're at it.

How about, instead:

- 12" MacBook (let Air go...fully embrace the small, light and affordable which meets the needs for most folks).
So, just to be clear: have the 2015 MacBook. See that it doesn't quite work as an Air replacement. Pitch the low-end 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro as a possible Air replacement. See that it doesn't work either. Have an actual 13-inch Air in 2018. Have that be quite successful. Discontinue the 12-inch MacBook in 2019. Then, in 2020, kill the Air again and bring us back to the 12-inch MacBook? Why? Why not simply offer the Air in two sizes?

Also, yes, we're back to the Performa days. We also have five iPhone variants now: the SE, the mini, the regular, and two Pros. We also have the iPad mini, regular, Air, and two Pros.

Quote:
- 14" and 16" MacBook Pros, no compromises or "lesser than" offerings that misses the point of "Pro"
That only works if you make the 14-inch fat. I think I would like that, but I think Apple wouldn't. They seem to have analyzed their market such that they'd rather have a thinner, lesser 14-inch Pro than one with the same features as the 16-inch (but fat).

Quote:
:- 24" and 30" iMacs (take both existing models up 3"...because why not?)
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Um, refresh my memory. What is this Mac Tube idea again?
I'm saying if a new 2013 Mac Pro-like design comes back, it won't replace the 2019 Mac Pro; it'll complement it with a different branding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Or, smaller form factor could just mean that Apple's processors generate so much less heat that there is room to eliminate a giant fan assembly.
So why make the 2019 Mac Pro that massive in the first place? Nobody needed it to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
A lot of the space in the Mac Pro is for the additional drives and expansion cards.

There's going to be savings from reduced cooling needs, but shrinking the size by 30-40% is going to mean more limited expansion options.
Exactly. I wouldn't put it past Apple to discontinue the 2019-style Mac Pro after a single version, but it'd be really dumb.