Thread: Penny flag...
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-18, 21:58

Thank you.

Times like these (as with my Captain America shield and the 36" wide rustic flag), I'm so happy I learned/know Illustrator. I can't imagine trying to do things like this on-the-fly, without working out the details/kinks easily beforehand. Taking 10-15 minutes and working it all out on screen on the front end - dimensions, spacing, layout, etc. - makes all the difference in the world! I'm able to proceed with confidence, knowing that any mockups I've done are solid and accurate enough to follow/trust.

It's a great marriage of the two things: the tech/digital on the front end, then wood/paint/glue/handtools to do the actual project itself (using my own printed templates or stencils, if needed). I find that very satisfying.

I love working with wood and doing stuff like this. But I always kick things off in Adobe Illustrator, at 1:1 scale, to get it all set up and squared away before I waste wood, paint, etc. (or experience a major "oh crap...I'm a half-inch off to the wrong side!!!" moment).