View Single Post
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-11-25, 01:26

I can't even remember why I got myself into this mess in the first place. But here I am, without a clue on what to do.

Here is a small background on the events that lead up to this... problem.

I have been living on my own for now for the past 4 months, for various reasons that you might know of if you have read some of my other...serious threads.

Anyway, a while back I decided to sell my violin for extra cash since I really don't like playing anymore. I put an ad up on the net asking for around 450, seeing how that's what I would get for it if I were to sell it used. Sure enough someone showed interest and we agreed on $400 for it. I gave the buyer my address and phone number so the payment could be sent.

A few days after we agreed on a price.. I was asked if it was ok to have someone who owes them money send me the payment -- that way they don't have to get the check from them, wait for it to clear just to send it out again to me. Right away I thought something was wrong. . .
First mistake: I agreed.

I agreed because I was still thinking about the extra cash the violin would get me and what I was going to spend it on. You see as a young man saving money for school I have to be tight with money.

Shortly later I was asked if it was ok that the payment from the third party would be a bit more then the price we agreed on, the remainder would be sent with the violin. And that the payment would arrive to the tune of $4500.

Right then a red flag came up in my head... and I had to ask a friend for advice. I was told that the money is more then likely being laundered through in this case, me -- if the transaction would take place that is. So off I went to google looking up the legal aspect of that which would take place and risk factor along with doing so. . . which lead me to my. . .

Second mistake: I agreed again.

Yah, turns out that google shows a very low risk factor for such transactions here in Canada, and that it happen quite often. At this point I was still thinking about the money. . . I know, I should have dropped the ball and hit the showers the second I heard about this sort of thing. . . but I guess we all make these kind of choices once, and only once to learn the hard way.

I was informed that the payment was sent and that it should arrive shortly. But two weeks past, and every so often I would send out an email to inform that the payment has yet to arrive. When the third week came and went, I snapped. . . the last thing I need is someone who thinks I ran with their cash. I told the buyer that the transaction was off.

In reply, I got an email asking me to be patient. . . so I allowed one more week.

The week past and no payment arrived, so I informed the buyer that the transaction was off for good, and that they have waisted my time. The next email is where it gets interesting: the delay was caused by a death in the family, and that they were sorry for the long wait. It was understandable if the violin was already sold off and that they would only have one request: That if the payment shows up, to take $1000 for my troubles and to forward the rest on. Which lead me to my...

Third mistake: I told them that when it arrives, that I'll think about it.

I seem to be motivated by money, because when I heard that I would get $1000 for forwarding cash along... and get to resell my violin for around $400 to someone else... the only thing on my mind was 'how quickly can it be done?'

So now another week passes and the payment arrives... but with three major problems.
The first, it's not a money order like I agreed upon in the first place, it's a check which takes time to clear and leaves one hell of a paper trail. The second, the check from what I can tell seems to be printed with a bubble jet printer on a heavy weight printer -- WTF came to mind when I noted this. Oh yah, I almost forgot. . . the Third, THE CHECK WAS FOR $15K! That a big difference from $4500. I can't even pass that amount through my account in a business day.

Here is the best part. . . it was mailed from the states, but the check is from a packaging company in Quebec (which BTW, when looking at their site, it just smells of a 'front' business). . . I live in Canada, so now I know there is something illegal about this... well now I have proof that is.

Even if the check was good, it's not a bank draft or money order so cashing it will leave a much larger paper trail then expected. Then I have to deal with forwarding $14K to someone I have still yet to meet, hell getting it cashed is going to be hard enough. And it's a business check, from a company in Canada so under any audit it would be quite clear that such a transaction did happen. I don't know where this check came from, but sure as hell it's not from a bank.

Now, it's my move. . .
-do I tell the second and third party to fuck off?
-do I contact the police?
-do I start seeking out an accountant? Lawyer?
-do I finish what I started?
-does anyone know Canadian Law in this area well?

In any case... they have my home address and phone number, and I don't even have a return address from the sender or contact information beyond and email address for the initial buyer. Which leaves me in a state of slight fear. I think my first step would be to see if the check is valid, which i think it's not but I just need to confirm this.

So I as I write this post, the check is sitting in front of me... and I need advice very badly.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!