View Single Post
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-07-14, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack
I called to ask if they actually had wireless internet available for free, and she said yes. My question I guess is, am I allowed to be using their wireless signal to connect to the internet even though they've got ethernet ports in the room. Do I need permission to be using their wireless services?
looks like she already gave you permission.

on another note, as a matter of legality, its questionable when you haven't been given permission. personally, i fall on the side of "no passwords=no permission necessary". technically, connecting to a wireless router involves asking for permission on the protocol level. you're computer sees the router offering up a service (ie, you notice 2 wireless networks available). when u connect to one of them, the computer says, "hey, base station, am i allowed to connect here?" base station replies, "yea. here is the specific connection information you will need in order to take advantage of my services." although it all happens quite seemlessly (thanks to OSX, and to a lesser degree, Windows), the computer asks the router for permission, and when you successfully hit the internet, it means permission was granted. in australia, you need to ask a human or else face jail time (there was a recent court case on this); i dont know about other countries.