View Single Post
bilo__baggins

2005-07-31, 02:49

I have read on the Apple Discussion forums that tech support have been advising people not to plug any devices into the Cinema display other than devices relating to the display itself (not sure what that means really, but never mind).

My previous display was the Apple 17" Studio Display (ADC) and it's ports worked very reliably, including with the keyboard and mouse.

However, from my experience with the 20" Cinema Display (aluminium case, DVI connector, uSB 2.0 ports) it is a very temperamental hub. I have had problems with my bluetooth dongle not working in it. I'm using a bluetooth keyboard so I don't have to plug that into anything.

The situation that really highlights how poor the hub is in this display is when you install a third party USB 2.0 card in the G5 (I've tried 2 different brands). When the display's USB cable is plugged into the G5's rear ports it's hub stops working altogether. When it's plugged into the USB card the ports work intermittently, often devices disappearing while in use, or after a restart.

Because the display is an Apple product, I naturally assumed that the third party USB card was to blame. I therefore returned the cards. The more I read now about the USB hub in this display, the more I realise that it's the display that's at fault rather than the cards. When I say at fault - I think it's a design fault rather than a 'faulty display'.

Apple advertise the display as having a 2 port self-powered USB 2.0 hub. It seems ridiculous even to say not to plug the keyboard into it (as that's the neatest, most logical place to plug they keyboard), and even more bizzarre to be telling people not to use the ports at all.