View Single Post
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-15, 00:04

When 10.2 came out, I made the conscious decision to work with Apple's Mail, Address Book and iCal apps, porting my contacts from Entourage over to the Address Book and starting to use iCal.

The reason being was that I realised Address Book would be accessible by the OS, whereas Entourage only knew Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Additionally, the Apple apps would integrate seamlessly with .mac - and I figured this was a good thing.

However, today I received my Mactopia newsletter and I decided to fire up Entourage to check out the news group reader feature. It got me sort of wistful. Entourage has it all in the one neat window and this newsgroup reader feature is really quite cool. I now wish Mail had it - maybe it does, please tell me if so. (Btw - this is just Office v.X - not Office:2004 - I sort of think that the Project Centre feature would even further enhance Entourage's usefulness.)

So my question is...

What do you folks use - are you Apple only for Mail/Address Book/iCal or are there some of you who prefer the single window of Entourage and some of its added features? Or maybe you rely on something else entirely?

I think I will update to Office:2004 at some stage - primarily for Word (note-taking) and Excel (print enhancements). However, on this basis, if I one day also get Keynote, then that means I'm really paying for PowerPoint and Entourage which I'll probably never use. Would you purchase the upgrade to Office:2004 if this was the case on your machine?

Look forward to the opinions and discussion.

All I want is a simple life
twitter