View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-05, 10:35

Didn't warrant a new thread, so I'm tacking it on here (apologies for any bump violations).

Big v1.10 update out today for the three Affinity apps...Designer, Photo and Publiisher

I've already sang - sung? singed? sangeded? - the praises of this software, which I now use pretty much ever day (Designer, at least, which is their Illustrator competitor), for work and or personal use/fun/artistic jollies. These updates seem to do quite a bit, although it's early in the day and I'm not able to say much first-hand. I do know that no Affinity update has made things [I[worse[/i] than before, so I expect more of the same.

You can go to the App Store to see the release notes for v1.10 and see all the things updated/addressed...quite a list.

It gets better every time. If you don't have to use Adobe, and you've got the freedom/ability to try something different (self-contained, handing off completed artwork to others vs. daily collaboration with an Adobe-based joint, etc.) and some room for a slight learning curve, give it a shot. As I say above, on several occasions they've done half-off promotions and I got both Designer and Photo for $25 each, off their usual $50 (which was a steal to begin with, for all they do). I see where they've gone up to $60 now, but that's still completely reasonable/affordable for most in a hobbyist/non-professional setting (and then some). And keep your eyes open - both the Apple App Store and Serif's website - for those occasional half-off promotions, where you'd be able to to snap them up at, I presume, $30 a pop.

I know everyone's situation/goals/needs are different, but for someone who's used Adobe Illustrator since about 1994 (v. 5.0), I can say that I'm doing everything in Affinity Designer that I ever did with Illustrator. Am I saying it's a direct 1:1 match, every single feature? No. But the features/functions I use are certainly there, and I've yet to encounter any true "oh, shit...I really need Illustrator right now" moments, FWIW.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-05 at 10:53.