View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-07-28, 13:08

The industry has backed off Retina level resolutions for large panels... just about every 3rd party 27"-32" panel maxes out at 4K. I think it's a bit of a tweener problem for them. 8K isn't quite there yet. They don't want to deal in intermediate resolutions, and unlike the move from sub-2K resolutions to WQHD (2560) and beyond, everything above is generally pleasing to look at in typical desktop sizes. So, with no urgency to jump on 8K just yet, panels seem to have topped out at 4K for now... Personally, I'm Ok with this. My eyes are getting old, and I could err on the side of larger screen/pixels and sitting a bit farther back...

This does put Apple's studio display in perspective. It is nice. I've seen it. Thanks to the extra pixel density, it is a very good way to view photos for editing/print. IMHO it tends to look better than some displays that claim a higher spec (like HDR600). I would compare it favorably with 30-32" class 4K displays that offer useful gamut coverage (either DCI-P3 or AdobeRGB), 10 bit precision, good factory calibration and backlight stability at low brightness (which is what you want for photo editing).