View Single Post
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2012-05-03, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
If you think the Space Shuttle's cockpit is complex and a mess, how about Apollo's command module? There was so many switches and buttons, only two people knew about the SCE to Aux switch that saved Apollo 12..... Everyone else when ECOM suggested it went, " WTF is SCE to Aux?"
Yeah, I remember that from the HBO series From The Earth To The Moon. It basically went like this:

EECOM: SCE to AUX!
Rest of MCC: WTF is SCE to AUX?!
CDR & CMP: WTF is SCE to AUX?!
Al Bean: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
I just read that the SRB's for the SLS will not be recovered and will be allowed to sink in the Atlantic. So my reaction is, " WTF WHY!?!?" The only thing that is reusable on the SLS( since it is basically the Shuttle SRB with an extra segment) is not going to be reused?
It's apparently cheaper to build all-new disposable ones than build ones with stronger reusable casings with flotation and recovery systems, and then go through the refurbishment process to ready them for flight again.

They've already repurposed one of the SRB recovery ships as a mobile tracking and observation platform for the SpaceX launches to the ISS.