View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-28, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Agreed.

You know how most of us here say that the Mac mini is really as much computer as the average person needs? I think we can now say that about the iPad - almost.

I think it needs some kind of iLife style goodness and then I think that I could honestly say that this thing would be the device of choice for the typical 'dumb' user. Aunt Tildy, grandma, grandpa, junior..... It does just about everything they tend to do with a computer: surf, email, write basic documents, store photos/music, etc..
True. And some of those people don't even use computers enough to have hard-wired expectations or habits, or never really got the hang of a mouse. And they don't touch-type anyway, to begin with. So they really don't have a ton of stuff to "unlearn" or adapt to like some of us.

If you're coming into this a bit raw and new, with only some light dabbling in computers (but it never really took and you where too intimidated to buy one for yourself, for home), what could be more natural and inviting than this iPad? You use your fingers (no left-click/right-click confusion or learning), if you don't know how to type (or you're not a super-fast touch typist), then the onscreen keyboard is going to be no harder, or no worse, than any physical keyboard you've ever used. If you do the "hunt-and-peck" method of typing, you can do that here...you're not being "slowed down" by some virtual, software keyboard like some of us might feel. If you're not that much of a typist to start with, what does it matter? If it takes you 1-2 minutes to poke out a two-sentence e-mail, that's better than nothing, or being left out of this type of communication if everyone else around you is staying in touch that way. Right?

So, yeah. Think about it from the point of view of those users...the iPad is a godsend!

"I don't have to buy a keyboard and mouse, learn to use them, I don't have to hook a bunch of stuff up, etc."

It could very easily make a wonderful "training wheels" computer for those in that situation, sure. If you're 65+ and never really messed with computers, what's going to feel more comfortable and "workable" for you? Moving things around naturally with your hands and fingers...or learning how to type (and trying to memorize a bunch of keyboard shortcuts) and which side of the mouse to click, and when to do so?

Exactly.

If my grandpa was still alive, this would be the exact kind of thing I'd get for him. This and an AirPort Express. He'd be set! He was into WWII (and his time there in the Army), classic cars and trucks, travel, he always followed the news and weather, he followed auto racing, he loved country music, etc. He would've had a blast with Safari, Maps and iTunes (and whatever third-party apps fit the bill), especially being that easy and natural to use.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-01-28 at 11:47.