View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-19, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I'm not a Netflix subscriber (but I want to be, along with an tv). Tell me about it. What was this big change this summer that pissed everyone off?

What is the monthly fee I'd pay for streaming, and what, exactly, does that get me? They've got a really useless website, so I'd rather just ask real people I trust/know.
You would sign up for Netflix (the streaming service) and ignore Qwikster (the by-mail service). Netflix is $7.99/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates
Explain to me how they screwed up earlier, and what today's news means in the big picture?
The earlier "screw-up" was when they significantly increased the cost of having both the by-mail and streaming plans. It used to be $9 and up, now it's $16 and up. They lost a lot of customers with this move. Now they're splitting streaming and by-mail into two completely separate services that won't share a website or interface, which hurts usability (no shared queue or history or ratings or recommendations, &c.). It's like they're trying to get everybody to cancel the by-mail service while creating a new business entity that relies solely on it. It seems fairly counterintuitive.

But again, if you're a streaming-only subscriber, none of this affects you. If you wouldn't have subscribed to Netflix's by-mail service before, now you just won't subscribe to Qwikster's by-mail service. The Netflix brand is all about streaming now.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong