Thread: Daredevil!
View Single Post
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-04-15, 23:18

Hey, how come we aren't talking about this? It rocks! First couple of episodes I was like "yeah, not bad, a little heavy handed maybe...." but once Vincent D'Onofrio shows up it's full on awesome. As has been noted around the web, probably the first series to assume binge watching, so it plays like one long continuous movie. Character development is drawn out, conversations go on for a while, back story is doled out over many hours. Beautifully shot and edited. Fight scenes heavily indebted to the Koreans, with one long single take slug fest in particular seemingly inspired by the hallway of death sequence in Oldboy. Just in general some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen, brutal and visceral and long. Like exhausting long, where he just has to keep hitting guys over and over and they keep getting back up and he's winded and staggered and just keeps fighting till everyone's down. Then he has to go get stitches.

It's "comic book-y" in that the characters and motivations are pretty basic and nothing we haven't seen before, but it really works because the whole production is so rich and dark and well executed. I like the tone better than Nolan's Batman because everything is pitched at a more human level. Bad guys are less extravagantly bad, good guys are less monomaniacal, the stakes are firmly rooted in human suffering and broken bones. In a way the whole show is about violence and the fallout from violence and choices made in the teeth of that violence. Love it.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated