Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-11, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I have my doubts about a Mac Pro coming this year, not sure why, but I’m betting it will be the last machine to be updated.
Agreed.

We're following a similar trajectory to the Intel transition, but I think at a different pace this time.

Back then, it was the iMac and 15-inch MacBook Pro after 7 months, the Mac mini after 8, the MacBook (replacing the iBook) after 11, and the Mac Pro (replacing the Power Mac, of course) and Xserve after 14 months.

Now we have the MacBook Air, Mac mini, and 13-inch MacBook Pro after just 5 months, and the iMac after 10.

So consumer products are being launched a bit faster than last time, but the high end hasn't yet launched at all. I think that speaks in part to shifting priorities — the Air is now good enough for many, many Mac buyers, to the point where Cook said the majority of Macs sold were already ARM (that was before the iMac, and with various Intel configurations of some of the same products still being around). The Mac Pro certainly doesn't matter as much to the Mac platform in 2021 as the Power Mac did in 2006. That's in part because Apple doesn't find that segment very interesting any more (remember Xgrid, Xsan, OpenCL, etc.?) post-Bertrand Serlet, but also in part because, generally speaking, market trends have shifted.