Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-05-25, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Oh great, the Mini's going to be more mini...

(It's another Prosser leak)

With regard to these renders, I would wonder why they'd move the ethernet to the power brick in the iMac and leave it in the Mini.
Unless, of course, it complicates server applications to move the power supply and ethernet out of the machine.
If they do use the iMac plug as indicated by the render, surely that makes the power brick external? (But then why bother with the internal Ethernet port? Doesn't really add up.)

Quote:
16 GB Max RAM also seems sketchy.
Well, Apple can't seem to decide whom the Mac mini is for. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they move it downmarket again. Only to move it upmarket again a few years later (and not revise it at all in the meantime).

Quote:
Bloomberg has indicated Apple could scrap its plans to release this new high-end ‌Mac mini‌ but notes that regardless, it will eventually replace the current Intel models with ones featuring Apple silicon chips.
…you don't say.

16 GB Max RAM also seems sketchy.

Quote:
Can a regular joe network a bunch of these to get added performance, I wonder?
Not really.

There was that era where Apple did things like Xgrid, Final Cut Pro distributed rendering, and Xcode distributed builds, but… none of those seemed to truly catch on, and these days, for better or worse (in terms of privacy / data sovereignty / etc.: worse!), the fashionable way of doing that is to rent an unspecified amount of machines in the cloud. It's kind of a bummer since, with Rendezvous/Bonjour discovering local machines, the solution was… almost there? But still too nerdy.