Thread: Wwdc 2021
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-07, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
So far, this is the most yawn-inspiring Apple Keynote in years.
Hm.

The iOS stuff mostly bored me (the contexts they're establishing for notifications are nice and were rumored, but aren't quite what I was hoping for).

In fact, in general, the OS updates themselves seemed a bit meh. Especially watchOS. Kevin's presentation felt a lot like they had to pull something last-minute? Or they pulled most of the interesting watchOS stuff into the Health section instead?

However, lots of little things that are great.

iPadOS's multitasking UI finally looks a lot more discoverable, which I think was its biggest problem. Each window gets a very clear grabby handle at the top, which leads to multitasking settings. Good.

Their translate stuff is going system-wide, including on macOS.

Siri speech recognition is now entirely on-device. Apple never gets your speech. Tasks that can run locally, such as home stuff, will run entirely locally. Much lower latency, and of course better privacy. Only stuff that involves the server runs on the server.

iCloud recovery contacts (allow a relative or friend to recover your account) and digital legacy contacts (allow a relative or friend to access your data should you pass away) are great.

Lots of health stuff! Walking steadiness, better explanations of lab results, better trends (incl. for blood glucose), and notifications on trend changes. Selective sharing of health data with a doctor. Sharing of health data with family members. You can get notified of aberrations in your elderly parent's health.

Universal Control, as Kickaha mentioned. Basically a riff on Mouse Without Borders or Synergy. Craig's demo of dragging a graphic from an iPad to a Mac… to yet another Mac? Now that's Apple stuff.

Web extensions coming to iOS.

That said: I think some of the recent events, especially the ones for first M1 Macs and the one for the M1 iPad Pro and M1 iPad Pro, were edited much more tightly. This one wasn't. I also thought the intro was a bit much; I'm clearly not the target audience there (I'm guessing aspiring-developer college kids are).