Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-06-19, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's weird such a thing can happen, noticeable or not. I assume these things are put together with robots (or at least the pieces, holes, mounting areas, stands, etc. are measured/cut by robots). So is it an input error by the person running these machines? Wrong data entered on this initial run a few months ago? For there to be a wide range of off-ness is interesting.

I honestly don't think I'd grouse/squawk over 1/32", or even 1/16" (I'm not a finish/trim carpenter or fine woodworker, so I've always been able to live with those tolerances for any outdoor structure projects - sheds, fencing, decks, etc. - and basic "can't see it from my house" framing). But, at $1,499+, a noticeable, weird slant of 1/8" or more would just bother be. If they can't get that part right, then I can be bought...maybe knock $200 off (to offset the cost of upgrading to the 16GB RAM that should already be on a $1,500+ machine in 2021) and we'll meet halfway...they can give me an imperfect iMac, but don't bend me over on the BTO RAM. I'll put a business card or two under the base to level it out, unseen, and everyone moves on with their life.
Those kinds of little bits off a likely within tolerances for this kind of semi-automated manufacturing. As kscherer points out this is not a new thing, Intel Macs had the same issue, it's just that nobody noticed.