View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-02, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
…As a consumer I certainly don't mind, but its obvious that the Mac App Store, with its smaller sales volume, is not as successful as the iOS App Store primarily because the software is priced more traditionally. Apple itself seems to recognize this and has slashed prices on its own apps on the app store. But third parties don't seem willing to do that yet.
So very true. Can you imagine how many copies of Call of Duty 4 would sell if it was ten bucks?

But at $50, it isn't going to sell any more copies than the box version, because it is just too stinking expensive. I can order it and get it at cost, but I don't because even at cost it is unreasonable. But I would buy it for $10 in a heartbeat. And I'd buy a copy for my kid so we could network and shoot each other. And a lot of other people would buy it, and then the install-base of users would rise dramatically and they could push $5 expansion packs and make a boat-load of money. A good economy cannot be supported by "free" junk, but it will thrive with "inexpensive" and well-built stuff.

Edit: And I haven't even factored in the reduction in cost of manufacture and distribution. COD4 is $49.95 in a retail box. At the Mac App Store? $49.99! Why? One word, which begins with "g" and ends with "d". And why is it .04 more expensive?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)