View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-06-02, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
I would prefer Apple go the route of nominal/no fees and bundle the software with the devices they are selling which creates a positive network effect for all their hardware. People right now are desperately trying to push down the cost of smartphones. Apple is looking for a way to maintain their edge and extend their lead. If every iDevice had iMovie/Garageband/iTunes/iWorks and network space associated with their projects provided by Apple, it would be a combination that would put them head and shoulders above competitors and still garner them a premium price and profits. Aka when Android phones are being dropped to $99-129 the Apple solution could still command $199 because of what is bundled.
I strongly disagree.

For one, bundling those apps would put third-party developers in an awkward position. It's much easier for Kindle to compete with iBooks because neither comes bundled. There's a market for e-book readers; for movie editors; for word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications; bundling any of those would make it much harder to compete in such a market.

For another, I appreciate that Apple puts a value on those apps. They have value and deserve to be perceived as such.