View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-13, 11:50

No new Mac Pro. The architecture in that thing is too complicated, even with AS. It has to outperform the current thing, and either A) Apple has a monster M-thing ready, or B) Apple has figured out how to put lots of M1X things onto a single board, each bringing its own RAM—or something.

No, the Mac Pro is next year. Although it is possible that Apple may "unveil" it in a surprise move, with "coming next year", as they've done with both of the previous Mac Pro towers.

I don't think they're gonna give up that segment. I think they have a surprise in the works that will make everything before it seem silly.

And here's a thought for upgraders: What if Apple built SOC modules for upgrades? You buy a tower that has a single M1X on board, and it can be 16 or 32 gigabytes of RAM. But there are 4 SOC "slots" on the board, and you can add more M-thing SOCS at a later date? A SOC is $500 with 16GB, and $700 with 32GB. So, you want to "upgrade" and you add another SOC which also comes with its own RAM? The system is designed to recognize the additional SOC and goes out to get the necessary firmware updates that make it all work, and then you get a software tool to tell the computer how to use the SOC? I don't know. That seems like a dumb idea.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)