View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-01-25, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^
I'm not sure what you've got against java, its a great language
Too similar to C++. I just don't like it; matter of personal preference, simple as that.

For the record, I don't like ObjC that much either, but at least it has a use for me (creating OS X software). Java has no use to me. As far as I'm concerned, "runs anywhere" translates to "runs subpar everywhere". If I want something cross-platform, I prefer to use an uncompiled language, such as Perl, Python, Ruby, you get the idea. If I want something for Windows, I prefer to use a .NET language, and if I want it for Mac OS X, I can sort of understand ObjC code if I really have to. I prefer not to, however, if only for the need to manage memory.

Quote:
Now that being said... say you want to learn Obj-C, why not just start coding in it. It will come to you, and soon you will learn the ins and outs of instantiating objcets, methods calls, reusing objects, extending classes etc. trust me you will.
Trust me, that doesn't work for me. I still stick to my patterns which ultimately leads to an inflexible, non-modular application.

Quote:
I recommend a program that tests for Palindromes as your next program following HelloWorld, that's what I've been using and it's just complex enough to be interesting, and give the language a bit of a workout.
That's funny, since my first Ruby "program" was indeed a palindrome check. I had very little trouble designing it. However, that has almost nothing to do with OOP. It's very procedural.

Quote:
If you are so inclined, you could always post your creations back here for critique.
I get flamed enough as it is.

Quote:
I sincerely recommend java, I really do think the available resources for cocoa are sub-standard (this is my opinion), and if you are learning OOP, you should start on something where you can google it and get an answer... or post it here and have all the closet java programmers look at your code.
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure you really understand what exactly I'm trying to learn. I could learn Java if I were so inclined, but I would still approach it with a procedural idea, and that's just bad™.