View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-03-24, 12:37

Something like 30 years ago I was at the very leading edge of the full suspension mountain biking craze. I used to ride a 40-mile route from my house on the bench (about 2800 feet) into downtown Boise, then up 8th Street to the saddle near Bogus Basin at about 6000 feet or so. It was then down Trail 4 (an old motorcycle trail) that was almost as much work as going up, and then out to Lucky Peak Dam with the wind at my back, and home with the wind in my face.

It was a tough ride! And, boy, was I in good shape back then.

Now I huff and puff looking at my bike!

I also live about 5 miles further from the trails with every inch of it through ugly, bike-unfriendly traffic loaded with cell-phone-gawking idiots running red lights and wandering into what little "bike lane" exists. And half of them carting poseur bikes on the back, too!

Which means I have to drive if I want to actually be safe. So for now it's just a thought. I need to have my passion fully vested before I'm going to unload $1500+ into a new bike. And, since I'm quality-driven, it will be more like $3000+. I've got half that, but I'm just not completely sold on the idea either way.

For giggles, I had one of these:

I also had a GT RTS-1 (top of the article). I bought the first frame-set to land in Arizona at the time, and built it out with custom everything to a cost of over $6000. Ah, the good 'ol days. I traded that bicycle for a motorcycle!

I was so big into mountain biking at the time that if I wasn't working or drinking, I was riding. Everywhere! I didn't even own a car until I was 25 and got married.

I wasn't terribly strong, but I could ride uphill for hours without stopping. And, for some silly reason, I loved that hurt. I don't know why, maybe it was the satisfaction of reaching the top, or the thrill of the downhill. I just remember that it hurt so bad that I loved it.

But that kid was a weirdo!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-03-24 at 12:49.