View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-20, 16:37

Apparently, Apple is funding a show in which Jon Stewart roasts the billionaires space club. And, for FWIW, they deserve a bit of roasting. However, these guys are investing a lot in their respective ventures (yes, they get some gubmint money, but they're still putting a lot on the line). And the work they're doing is advancing space travel faster than at any point in history, and for significantly less money than government projects cost.

I'm onboard with all three ventures (and I'm sure there are more that I don't know about). We need arrogant, ego-maniacs like this to push tech forward. Without their personal insight and deep pockets, there just isn't enough free capital to make projects like this work. There might be lots of minds available, but without the money and drive to unite those minds into one room and inspire them to push the boundaries, none of these companies would even exist, the Shuttle would still be long-gone, the SLS would be way more expensive and behind schedule, and American astronauts would still be riding Russian rockets to space.

Bring on the egos!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)