View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-03-14, 13:24

I think it might have something to do with the spectrum of light emitted by the backlighting. Essentially a display filters the backlight, but it can't produce spectrum that isn't there in the first place. My knowledge of display tech and color space is foggy at best, so please refer to sources more reliable than yours truly, but when you look at the gamut of AdobeRGB and DCI-P3, you can see the color space for each is larger than sRGB, but Adobe has more cyan-yellow while the DCI color scape has more magenta-yellow. Adobe should be able to represent deeper saturation in the blue green hues while DCI should be able to produce deeper orange-red hues. Each color space produces a little more than 70% of Rec2020, albeit differently. I'm not aware of any displays that can show the entire rec2020. My guess is that manufacturers spec backlighting with spectrum that either skews a bit more blue-green or red-yellow depending on the spec they're trying to meet, and while there's a lot of overlap in what they can reproduce, they often don't spec a light than can cover 100% of both. Expensive Eizo and NEC stuff that comes close to high 90% percent for both tends to cost quite a bit and may be less ideal for non print focused applications which focus on dynamic range and sustained/peak brightness rather than total gamut, uniformity and brightness control...