View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-03-17, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
So, if I’m using a 4K display and I’m looking at a photo at 1:1 or a word doc, is the MacOS forcing some sub pixel alteration of how my display handles to image, or just the UI elements?
The short answer is yes, bitmaps as well. If it didn't, your images would appear way too small.

Suppose you have a 21-inch 4K display. If you run it at actual native 4K, everything will be very small, but OTOH, it'll be "native" — as sharp as it gets.

If, however, you run it at 2K @ 2x, bitmaps may be upscaled to 200%, if they don't have the full resolution, so they'll be a bit pixelated. Stuff that is available in full resolution (e.g., text, or high-resolution bitmaps) will be sharp.

The bigger problem is that you likely won't get a 21-inch 4K display, since those are rare. It'll be 24-inch or perhaps 27-inch. At that point, 1) you'll probably find running it at native 4K to be too small, still, and 2) you'll find 2K @ 2x much too large. Instead, what you can do is have macOS oversample the resolution to 4.5K (24 inches) or 5K (27 inches) and then run that at 2x. This comes with a performance impact and some added blurriness.