View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-03-18, 04:30

Quote:
Speaking of software updates for the Studio Display, you can check the “display firmware version” in System Information, under “Graphics/Displays”. There, you can see that not only does the Studio Display run iOS, it literally runs iOS 15.4: “Version 15.4 (Build 19E241)”. That’s iOS 15.4 right down to the build number — 19E241 is the same build number as iOS 15.4 and iPadOS 15.4.

I shouldn’t be surprised by this but I am. But this means that if the camera image quality issues can be remedied/improved via a software update, we’re not waiting for a bug fix release for MacOS 12, but for iOS 15. Or both? I’m curious to see how software updates for the Studio Display work.
So it's an A13, so it makes sense that they need an OS similar to iOS to drive it, sure. I guess also in the sense that Center Stage already exists on various iPads, so the software portion must already exist somewhere in iOS.

But, also, really? Their monolithic development model here is… unusual, to say the least. If a critical bug happens to the display (like, let's say, the camera performing poorly, but just pulling that out my hat), they have to wait for and/or schedule an update to iOS/iPadOS to supply a fix? That doesn't seems sustainable. It also helps explain how this issue happened in the first place: they were mostly busy getting iOS/iPadOS/macOS/watchOS/tvOS/audioOS (did I miss one?) 15.4/12.3/8.4/etc. over the finish line, and in the course of that introduced a bug or regression (i.e., re-introduced a bug) that affected the Studio Display. It explains why it wasn't caught sooner, too.