View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-03-30, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I’m telling you. If Apple 2022 existed in 2002, that articulating chrome arm on the iMac G4 would be an optional $169 add-on. The stock model would have the display on a non-moving, vertical chrome arm, guaranteed. Everyone here knows this.
I dunno about that.

While the 15-inch iMac G4 was $1299 just like the original iMac G3, things got pricier than that fast. 17-inch? $1999. 20-inch? $2199. Meanwhile, at the end of the iMac G3's life, it had been at $999.

I think they had real trouble getting the price of the G4 down.

And once you have a display that's 27 inches rather than 15, the mechanics to make that worse become very non-trivial. That panel is simply a lot heavier. That's also why even the insane $999 stand on the $4999 Pro Display XDR isn't as flexible as the built-in stand of the $1299 15-inch iMac G4 was: it's too heavy to accomplish that.

Quote:
Fact is, we now pay extra for stuff that used to just come in the box.
You're not wrong. My 2006 MacBook Pro came with third-party software like OmniGraffle, and a few adapters. The 2016 and beyond MacBook Pro doesn't even come with a long power cord.

Quote:
Everything else - cables, adapters, chargers, cleaning cloths, adjustability, etc. - have been slowly eliminated over time and made into separate, additional accessory purchases.

I know it’s gotten their packaging sizes/weight down some, but let’s not pretend that was the primary driving factor. Apple has eleventy gazillion $$$ because they give nothing away. They don’t leave money in the table.
It's both. Whether it's equally both, I don't know. Maybe 80% of it is about increasing margins, sure. But they've got to have metrics on how few people actually use those accessories, and they've probably found: not many.

Quote:
“Holy smokes, that Paul idiot joked about this back in 2022…”.
I mean, I think this all the time.