View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-03-30, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
That iMac G4 - like the Cube and trash can Macs - was probably “doomed” from the start…designed for initial impact and a generation or two of upgrades/support, but just couldn’t progress too far along due to weight, sizing, thermal, etc. issues.
Yep.

We know the Cube was a bit of a Jobs vanity project, and the iMac G4 probably was, too. The 2013 Mac Pro, well, same for Jony Ive. (I ironically think it might be a good design substitute for the Mac Studio. It looks much better, and seems to have better heat dissipation as well. Oh well.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I kinda see the new Mac Studio as the 2022 take on the G4 Cube. Same basic approach, but smaller and more powerful (and I assume it has some headroom to where it’s not discontinued in 18-24 months because it “had nowhere to go”. Surely they’ve learned those lessons after a few high-profile “oops”.
Well, I'm not sure who the target audience of the Cube was, since the tower G4 did exist. I got the impression it was "people who need something moderately beefy but also it looks nice". Whereas for the Studio, it's more "people who need something quite beefy but don't want to go all the way to the Pro".

Like, I don't think anyone at Apple is under the illusion that the Studio looks attractive. But the Cube did. Except once the plastic started cracking. Oops.