Thread: Wwdc 2022
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-06-06, 10:09

I think in recent years (new iPhone day), I've noticed the store being down since 9-10am ET. I think some new hardware is definitely coming, as a result. If they were just going to do nothing but talk about the upcoming OS's, Swift, retail initiatives, services and stuff, there's no reason to take the entire store down for hours and hours.

We just have to hope that maybe it's for a bit more than some new watchbands or a new iPad keyboard/stand.

Two hours to go, my money is on the following, hardware-wise:

- New non-Pro notebooks...50/50 on if the "Air" naming remains
- A preview, if not outright unveil, of a new pro tower

It's been two years since the AS stuff was announced. They said they were looking to transition everything over in two years. So unless they're using November 2020 as the point where the clock started (with the first M1 Macs being released then), there should be something said today about a new AS-based pro tower. It's weird that it's not in any of the rumor talk, but we all know it's coming at some point.

It's been ~14 months since the 24" M1 iMac was unveiled. If other things are getting an M2, those could as well, and maybe color tweaks (or outright deletions). They've had well over a year now to see which colors are selling/popular, and which ones have been a complete waste of aluminum and glass. Not that I'm any sort of barometer for anything, but the only 24" iMacs I've seen in real life, in someone's house, have been silver, blue and one green. I've never seen any of the others - yellow, purple, pink, etc. Even if not proper processor upgrade, I could see, while the store is down, Apple tweaking/scaling back on the iMac colors today. I think they'd do that before they'd go and introduce all new ones. I could easily imagine the iMac, after today, just coming in silver and blue, and maybe whatever the next best-selling color is. None of t he original iMac colors stuck around super long, so Apple won’t churn out pink and purple (or whatever else) ones forever if they’re not strong sellers. Too much of a manufacturing/stocking/logistical hassle for anything not selling well enough to make it worth its while. So I bet today sees something on the iMac color front.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-06-06 at 10:27.