View Single Post
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2022-07-17, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
With the acceleration of new variants/sub-variants coming, and reduced testing, it's a wonder we know much at all.

What does seem conclusive is that people over 70 (or high risk) should get all available vaccines and boosters. General conciseness I've seen is that those under 60 still have a very low chance of ending up in the ICU, if they have the first two shots and the first booster at 6 months from the booster. All bets are off for those who don't have a vaccine at all, and not so great for those with two shots, but without a booster.

Right now my Dad is debating getting the 2nd booster now, or waiting for the one that is supposed to come in the fall with Omicron protection. Not really sure what to say about that at this point.
Just read your response to PB Brad. Yeah you're probably right. I'm in exactly PB's dads position right now and my decision is to just get the available booster now.

But I should probably add a bit to my original comment. Firstly, to remind y'all that I'm in the Southern Hemisphere so its our Winter. Of course, this is helping to fuel the spread of BA 4 and 5 because everyone's spending much more time inside with other people.

On top of that, we've had virtually no influenza in the community for the past two years because of covid restrictions. But because we have now joined everybody else in the brave new world of "living with covid", the flu is back with avengance plus a good old outbreak so RSV as well. Apparently the two flu viruses floating around are particularly nasty and, of course, they, or some mutant variant of them, are coming your way next winter.

The changing medical advice over the last few months really tells the whole story. It's basically gone like this.

About 3 months ago, they made the flu vaccine free for everybody whereas normally it is only free to the elderly. They have been strongly urging everybody to get it ever since.

About 2 months ago, they said everybody over 65 should get their second covid booster asap.

I'm 60 and had been expecting them them to lower that age limit any day. About two weeks ago they did so by announcing everyone over 50 should get their second booster asap. But in addition, they said that if you're over 30 and want to get your second booster now, you can do so. So what you say in your post Brad about Biden considering extending second boosters to everyone has effectively already happened here.

If our positions were reversed PB and it was Summer here I'm not sure what I'd do. The omicron specific boosters aren't expected to be available here until around October. Even if I could get my second booster today, if the time between when you can get your second booster and the omicron specific booster is 4 months then I wouldn't be able to get the omicron specific one until mid November anyway.

Trouble is, as things stand I'm struggling to find anywhere to get my second booster until August at the earliest because everybody's sick with bloody covid!

You really seriously could not make this shit up, eh?

But assuming they make the gap between when your dad can get his second booster and when he can get his omicron specific booster 4 months, then I'd have to agree with Brad. Get your dad his second booster asap and, with luck, he should be able to get his omicron specific booster just before winter really hits in the northern hemisphere.

That's basically my advice to everyone. As what's unfolding here now is where you're all going to be at in about six months time. Keep boosted, if you can possibly get the omicron specific booster into yourself before your winter, absolutely do so *and* make sure you're fully vaxed against the flu before your flu season hits as well.

Hope that helps.