View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-07-25, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
I'm reminded of something. My father died almost 5 years ago. A little while ago I found his immigration paperwork, and you know what it included? An immunization report. Not from an antediluvian times, or WW2, from the late 60's. My google-fu is not strong today, and I'd either have to wade through thousands of COVID articles or Scholarly links to find out, but I'm nearly certain this was a pre-immigration boarding requirement even then. Canada's website still lists recommended immunization practices for new Canadians, but stops short of imposing a requirement.

Then I think about all the whining that's going on regarding air-travel requirements, and I wonder when we all got to feeling so entitled about crossing international borders? It seems right to me that nations are free to impose evidence based entry requirements. I don't have a "right" to just visit any place I want, I am a guest. I expect to have a right to be treated fairly within some semblance of a common law tradition, but certainly nations have a right to make their own determinations about appropriate entry requirements and/or safety and screening practices...
I married an Australian this year. His December medical appointment included a number of required vaccines that he either had to have already had, or the US certified immigration doctor would have to give him. Chickenpox, MMR, TDAP, etc. One of the absolutely mandatory vaccines was COVID, and flu if seasonally available (at the time for him it was summer so no). We'll require it to our immigrants to the US but not our citizens.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder