View Single Post
Anonymous Coward

2005-03-17, 23:21

My G3 iBook display failed just today.

Like you, I cannot see what is going on.

First, this is what I did successfully. I connected two iBooks with a Firewire cable and started, with the "t" key depressed, and the bad iBook showed up with a generic firewire external drive icon and the computer's name.

However, that is the second time I tried. The first time I tried, I got a display for a couple of seconds with a firewire icon, but that locked up and the display eventually became colored vertical lines.

So, I would say, even if it doesn't work the first time, keep trying.

In between attempts, I tried connecting with a firewire cable and tried to connect, but was unsuccessful.

I have read in other threads that you don't have to push too hard to get the computer replaced after it has failed numerous times. Perhaps it helps if you go to an Apple Store genius bar. A sympathetic genius will put the right words when he or she writes up the symptoms. This will be my iBook's fourth time in for repair. (The third time it went in twice, a week apart, and even though the Apple Store duplicated the problem, the repair depot reported they could not. However, the second time, even though they said they did nothing, the computer mysteriously started working perfectly ... until today, a few months later.)

Usually the iBook works perfectly, except for once each semester right before an important presentation or programming project!

Edit: From another AppleNova thread, by BarracksSi:

"Start bugging Apple for a whole new replacement. No need to start yelling or cursing at them, but be stern and professional about it. I'm on my fourth logic board now, and the agreement I have with them is that if there's anything going wrong with it (even if it's not video-related), they'll give me a new one. I've been really patient, and I think they know that."

Last edited by Anonymous Coward : 2005-03-17 at 23:29.