View Single Post
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-01-14, 17:55

Finished moving into a new dorm so it’s time for a new photo.

- 15” MacBook Pro, pre-unibody
- 19” Asus display
- 12” PowerBook G4, running Arch Linux as a server
- Macally Icekey
- Microsoft mouse
- Sennheiser HD280 headphones, plugged into a Headroom Bithead amp, velcro’d under the desk
- Two hard drives behind the MBP, a 1TB for Time Machine and a 320GB for extra storage
- iPhone dock

The books you see are Paul Theroux’s The Great Railway Bazaar and Natural Language Processing and Knowledge Representation. The latter is for my undergrad thesis, which I just started officially working on this week.

The stand the display is on is something I built a few years ago. There’s enough clearance under it to slide a keyboard, allowing me to open up a lot of desk space when I need it and putting the top of the display at the same level as the MBP’s while it’s perched on my iCurve.

Other stuff in the photo includes the sticker on the clock which is from Espresso Parts and came included with an order I received from them recently, including that awesome black cup you see there and some other coffee gadgets. Next to the cup is a Chemex coffee brewer, my current favorite brewing method.

Speaking of coffee, a picture I took earlier:

This is right behind my desk, so I’m including it in my computer setup.

From left to right:

- Coffee sample tray
- Baratza Maestro Plus grinder
- Scale
- Beans from Houston’s Catalina Coffee
- Same cup as above
- Timer
- Chemex (same from the above photo)
- Bodum french press
- Half of a Boston shaker, used as a “sink” of sorts to catch excess water
- Water filter
- Two insulated Bodum mugs
- Nissan thermos, keeps coffee hot for hours. I bought it last summer when I had a loooong commute and wanted good coffee at work
- Water kettle
- Chemex filters