View Single Post
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-19, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I don't think we should avoid pursuing technology because all edge cases haven't been covered yet.

A ton of car traffic is simply dumb commuting from home to work, and then back from work to home. It doesn't require a truck, or a special kind of car, in fact it arguably shouldn't require individual traffic at all. More specialized use cases like a handyman's work truck aren't a good fit for a hailing service, no doubt.

(but, again, I think this rumor is utter nonsense)
Which is why I said hailing is fine for office workers, because they are not in a situation where it matters when they get where they are going. It will take a different generation for something like that to take off though, most people over 30 will be set in their way in terms of vehicle ownership. For people who live in the core of big cities that’s a good model, we could nuke a lot of street parking for more useful things. For anyone who doesn’t, it’s more complicated.

As someone who would hates travelling with strangers, I wouldn’t go for it even if I did work in an office. The only time I take transit is for stuff in the downtown core, so that where I stand on the matter.