View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-08-14, 20:33

Last time I flew out of the UK I was amazed that everyone had to take their shoes off (obviously a throw back from the shoe-bomber). Last time I flew out it was simply if they were suspicious they'd pull you to one side and check your shoes etc.

Asia on the other hand is so laid back it's ridiculous. I have to wonder how it can be so friendly, laid back, and still safe in Asia. But it's been that way for years.

At Gatwick to their credit the security staff were friendly, made a bit of a joke of the whole thing, and a sort of WWII "we're all in this together" British spirit kind of pervaded the whole chain of people. This included the passengers all smiling at each other how ridiculous this all seemed, and the security staff kind of acknowledging that it was a pain in the ass, especially if you had kids and bags and stuff.... and being helpful. I was stoked at how human security were.

This was at Gatwick Airport. Don't expect that at Heathrow.
But if you do fly out of the UK try and get that outgoing flight from Gatwick.
The airport is clean, the hotels are near-by, there is plenty of parking.
The security is firm, as good as it needs to be, and friendly. Amazing!

Why couldn't other airports follow Gatwick's model?
The way that airports and airlines (United I am looking at you) in the US treat you. Frankly the way they have always treated you, and this goes back 15 - 20 years when I used to fly through LA and Hawaii and so on a lot, is unbelievably discourteous.
For a country that is based on such high service standards it has always confused and infuriated me.
Like Kick says they seem to be there goading you to try and get a reaction so they can punish you.
I have reacted badly to security officials before, and I have ended up in a row with them.
Frankly it's one of the reasons I won't go to the US anymore. I don't want to be treated that way. I don't want to be fingerprinted. And I don't want to be shot or tazered - which with my temperament would happen within a few minutes of landing, I am sure!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt