View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-23, 02:11

So, uh. Comet Lake-H would be nice. But, um.

What if the new big MacBook uses Comet Lake-U.

Comet Lake-U goes up to six cores, just like the current base 15-inch model. And while there apparently isn't going to be a 28W version of Comet Lake-U (at least not that Intel is willing to talk about yet), the 15W models support a 25W TDP-up mode. And switching to lower-watt processors would help the thermals work in a similarly-sized case where the keyboard takes up more volume...

After cases for the 2016 design leaked, I was half convinced Apple was going to switch to lower-watt processors to make that design possible. In actuality, what they did to make that design possible was severely compromise the keyboard. Looking back now, I'm not sure that was the right choice, even if the alternative was using 28W processors. (And sure, some of us would want a good keyboard and H-class processors, but if that isn't possible in the current form factor, I'm not sure I can see Apple making a regression on size and weight.)

I'm not saying I think this is going to happen. Overall, I think I'd bet against it, but I think it's worth considering (and maybe preparing ourselves for). A few years ago I would have been much more sure that Apple would make the choice to go with lower-watt processors, but I think they were a little bruised by the reaction to the current design and they've had a bit of a come-to-Jesus moment in regard to re-dedicating themselves to meeting the needs of their pro users. But maybe they feel a U-class processor could be a worthy component of a pro-grade system, if it's paired with a powerful GPU and a more capable T-series chip and fast RAM and fast SSDs.

In another recent thread, chucker said that ideally, MacBook Airs would use U-class processors and MacBook Pros would use H-class processors, but I'm not sure Apple agrees. I think Apple might feel that an ideal 2019 MacBook/Air would use a Y-class processor and an ideal 2019 MacBook Pro would use a U-class processor. It would maybe be a little weird, if the 13/14-inch MacBook Pro used a 28W Ice Lake-U chip and the 16-inch MacBook Pro used a 25W Comet Lake-U chip. But the Ice Lake-U chip's TDP would include graphics, and the Comet Lake-U chip wouldn't. So the total system power in the 16-inch Pro would still be higher. (And of course, maybe that 14-inch Pro would have to use a 15W chip, like the two-Thunderbolt-port models do today).

Each new MacBook Pro has gotten noticeably thinner and lighter — that's one of the things that makes each new design so noteworthy. I actually think this year's new design is probably going to be an exception, because increasing the Z-height of the keyboard alone is going to require miniaturization of everything else. I think it's going to be more like a "do-over" of what a MacBook with roughly the same form factor as the current MBP should have been all along. But that's also not very exciting.

To Apple's credit, they've gotten away from the idea that new pro products have to be a sexy exciting re-inventions. The new Mac Pro is just a giant cheese-grater tower with a ton of power and customization, because that's exactly what pro users wanted, and the sexy exciting 2013 Mac Pro wasn't. But the MacBook Pro has always straddled that line a bit. It's not a pro-only product in the way that the Mac Pro is. A lot of users buy it because it's a faster MacBook or because it has a bigger screen or because it's just the coolest laptop money can buy. So maybe Apple will feel the need to push forward on mobility to make the new design feel exciting, for all those people.

Maybe there should be both a MacBook Pro and a thicker, beefier PowerBook.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong