View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-04-01, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Bend is 350 miles from Boise. No Tesla made will make it that far. Since a good number of our trips go that way, a Tesla is out of the question. As far as the Portland route, that's a lot of stopping (and a smart traveler would stop a lot in order to insure a charge through what is otherwise a very hostile, desert environment).

Again, I support the development of these cars, and they are very practical as a commuter in densely packed cities. Out here in the west, where hundreds of miles separate cities, Tesla isn't quite there, yet. Especially when considering I can get a good car for half the price (of a Model 3) that gets better mileage than most hybrids.
I live in Oregon.

It doesn't really make any sense to drive to the Oregon coast from Boise through bend. Despite that, bend has over a dozen destination chargers. And you could drive through baker city of you really insisted in driving across the desert. It would add less than an hour to your trip and makes the trip doable in a model s. There is an electric charger in Mitchell Oregon so it is technically doable right now in a model 3 but not ideal.

The frequency and spacing of super chargers on I-84 is such that you don't need to stop at each one if you don't want to. It's a lot of options, not a lot of stopping.

"Out here in the west".... You do realize the majority of Teslas sales are in the west right?

You can not get anything close to a model 3 for half the price. I don't mean any disrespect but there is a reason the fiesta is a $14k car. Apples and oranges here.