View Single Post
JohnnyTheA

2006-01-30, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Sorry to post again, but this is important:

The new copy protection scheme in both Blu Ray and HD-DVD will force players to down sample the signal to 960x540!

So the 'early adopters' who bought the really really expensive and large plasmas and LCDs that didn't have HDCP are going to have to fork out MORE money to get to see true HD content?

I am not even going to consider buying HD media for a long time if ever. DVD is pretty good the way it is right now. I can upconvert to 720p and get a decent, though not as nice, picture AND its my F-ing disc that I can backup and stream to other PCs in my house (my interpretation of fair use here..). And the movies are CHEAP! Its costs more in admission to a theatre than it costs to BUY the DVD! Compared to Audio CDs, DVD are a really good deal... I think Hollywood is betting that everyone will want HD-media soon, so they are exhausting the market for SD...

BUT, I would like a Blue-Ray DVD Burner if one ever gets released. I don't know if any are coming soon, but you could backup 50 GB of data to one disk! Or you could rip "backup" 7 of your own DVDs to one disk, OR encode hundreds of TV shows in MP4 format...