View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-12-04, 19:54

Can this be done safely without wiping out the phone's data/activation? To be honest, I've never tried. Been kinda afraid to.

I'm sometimes at the house of a friend or relative and it'll be a day where I've used my phone a lot and the battery is low. It's still mid-afternoon and I'm nowhere near home (or heading there anytime soon). These people don't have the little USB wall charger, but all of them do have an iPod of some sort and a 30-pin connector and/or dock.

If I connect my phone to that (and their computer), will weird, bad things happen?

Is there some sort of "charge only" mode I can choose where the phone won't try to sync data, download pics, etc. and simply charge its battery?

This would sure come in handy sometimes. Like, oh, about four hours ago...

What's the deal on this? What happens if I connect my iPhone to a computer that isn't mine? Will it mount? Will it charge? Or will it wipe the data/info?

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question with an obvious answer (because I'm not aware of it).

PS - And if the above isn't possible, doesn't that strike you as a neat, useful feature for Apple to implement in some future iPhone OS update...remote "emergency" charging on a friend's Mac with no data or syncing issues or hassles? Perhaps you go into your settings area and flip a "Charge Mode only" switch, allowing you to connect to any computer simply to charge the device and nothing else?