Thread: Car Talk
View Single Post
Quagmire
meh

2009-12-03, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
The current diesels are pretty good on running clean. It's a lot better than it used to be, these days. Diesels don't usually have a lot of horsepower but they usually have massive, disproportional amounts of torque. And torque is what gets you up hills without having to downshift, so I like that aspect of diesels. I would say that most turbo diesels do have much better acceleration than small engined high MPG gas cars while maintaining better MPG at the same time. The Jetta TDi gets 42 MPG with 140 HP and 236 lb-ft of torque. That's better in every way than a car like the XB which has less power and worse gas mileage. It's probably worth noting that the XB is also cheaper, but that's all it really has going for it, IMO.
While diesels have a lot more torque especially in the low end of the RPM's, diesels do take longer to rev up then gasoline engines. Take the 335i vs 335d. 335i is a gas engine producing 300 HP and 300 lb. ft of torque at 1500 RPM. The 335d produces 265 HP and 435 lb. ft of torque at 1750 RPM from its diesel inline 6. While down 35 HP, it has a 135 lb. ft of torque advantage. Though performance of the 335i is 0-60 in 4.8 seconds while the 335d is 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

giggity