View Single Post
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-03-23, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Larry Brilliant, one of the doctors who helped eliminate smallpox, also believes that many governments are underplaying the situation. At the same time he doesn't think this will be the end of the world, or some kind of mass extinction event. [Edited, because I cannot find info from my original comment]

As for hospitals, yes, I avoid them unless needed. If it wasn't for tests I needed for kidney stones this past February, I wouldn't have gone in one for well over 15 years.
I don't think it's a mass extinction event either. But as for it being underplayed, a doctor who helped eliminate polio is someone I would listen to very carefully. Especially with a name like Larry Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So one question that I know I can google but haven't bothered, is this something that once you have it you're immune or at least immune this strain of it? I'm just wondering and figure if I was there was bound to be someone on here who knows something more about it than me.
Short answer, we're not sure. Bruce might be more up to date than me on this sort of question firstly, because of what he does and secondly, because I've been off line for a week.

I can tell you this but I have to go out so no sources right now......

The Chinese were saying at one point that they were seeing no immunity in up to 14% of cases. Ie. people got reinfected.

This virus is new. There's a lot nobody can say for sure yet. But it's worth considering that in regard to immunity generally, some immunities are better than others. For example, not all immunity is permanent. You might be immune to one version of a virus but not to later (possibly more virulent) mutations.

This sub reddit is good for solid science stuff (at least I hope it still is). It's being heavily moderated I think by people with relevant qualifications eg. Virologists.

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19