View Single Post
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-12, 17:34

I need to clean up the crawlspace in our split-level so I can overwinter summer items and generally clean up the pile of crap dad had under there (the stuff that's worth saving, that is).

The crawlspace is roughly a 20' x 20' square, with half of it being about 18 inches beneath the floor joists, and the other half being about 48 inches beneath the floor joists - the earth has been carved out, to accommodate the lowest floor, beyond that crawlspace.

It's that "taller" space that I want to clean up.

To make it tidier I'd like to create a solid "floor" instead of the existing dirt floor.

There's no way I'm going to pour cement under there, but I'm game for using 12 inch pavers.

I would like to build a flat area using some 12 inch square pavers to cover an area about 5 feet by 10 feet.

The floor is a fairly hard packed red dirt (not really clay).

It's not a particularly moist space, but before I do anything I plan to stick a gauge down there to assay the typical humidity level,

From what I understand, pavers can act as moisture sponges, drawing dampness from the ground beneath them and spreading it into the air, increasing the humidity in a space.

So I am pretty sure that I am looking at laying down a moisture barrier before I lay down the pavers.

Been reading up on how to adhere them to concrete block walls, all of that jazz.

Here's the deal: I don't really want to cover the UPPER space, as it will be a pain to access.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm not considering with this project.

Last edited by drewprops : 2020-10-12 at 19:12.