View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-05-26, 14:52

I was about to post that. Disney being Disney, I found it odd that they chose to build a show around probably one of the more bland characters I've ever seen. Felicity Jones held the screen (in a way that Daisy Ridley just didn't, sorry). Hell, that robot did too, as well as some of those other characters. But if they center it around Andor, maybe that opens up some possibilities for others to cameo.

PS - I like that logo at the end, with the negative-space "O". That and the Ahsoka branding are sharp.

If nothing else, we'll get some shows with some nice title designs.

One funny thing that always jumps out at me, in this trailer and the ones for Obi-Wan Kenobi, since both shows are set between Episodes 3 and 4...a newcomer or youngster - watching everything in chronological order and not being aware of when they were all actually produced - might be inclined to wonder, upon reaching 1977's A New Hope (after seeing Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Solo and Rogue One) "hey, where did all the women and black people go?!"

At some point in that ~20 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, it appears the Empire was actively recruiting women, and people of color were all over the place - in leading roles, even! Then A New Hope hits and suddenly there's one woman in the mix. And you don't see another black person until about halfway through The Empire Strikes Back, three years later.

We all know why it is - modern productions being more diverse and inclusive and all - but someone not old enough to realize that, or to know when things were filmed, might be sitting there going "things sure got awfully white all of a sudden! Damn, what else was the Empire purging?!"

You watch the trailers for the Disney+ fare and it's a Benetton commercial with lightsabers and spaceships. Then you get to A New Hope and it's like a...well, an Abercrombie & Fitch campaign. Hell, it's whiter than "Hee-Haw"...at least Charley Pride would occasionally show up there.

Just amusing/interesting to me, that slight wobble/disconnect, based purely on the filming timelines/eras and the changing attitudes/acceptance and widening of depictions and casting. And if you took in the entire saga, chronologically, it might kinda jump out in a couple of places.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-05-26 at 15:41.